June 23, 2012

NBA Draft Thoughts

I figured I'd start blogging again here and there because the world needs to know my thoughts. Now that LeBron had one of the best playoff stretches ever and got himself a title with the Miami Heat I can say he only needs 7 titles to back up his words.. no longer does he need a full 8. Congrats to the Miami Heat, my least favorite NBA team. I'd rather the Lakers win 5 straight than the Heat win another with James, Wade, and the Raptor (Chris Bosh)

Anyway, that moves us forward to the NBA Draft coming up quickly.. very quickly, Thursday in fact. There, as always, are tons of rumors floating around about trades and who is where on team's boards. I think we can agree the following players will be gone, in no particular order: Anthony Davis (not the Badgers running back), Thomas Robinson, Andre Drummond, MKG, Bradley Beal, Harrison Barnes. That's 6 that I'm fairly solid will be gone, if one of them slips.. it's Drummond. The next group of probably won't be there guys: Damian Lillard, Dion Waiters. That's 8 guys.. the Bucks pick 12.. so who is that next clump? They'll have choices.

Terrence Ross, Jeremy Lamb, Meyers Leonard, Austin Rivers, Tyler Zeller, John Henson, Terrence Jones, and PJIII.

And out of that group.. I see Ross, Leonard and Zeller being gone..

If this were the case what would the Bucks do? All reports have PJIII and Terrence Jones falling. I think they both get a bad rap, I don't like Jones but I think he grew up a lot between his freshman and sophomore years and played hard and efficiently this season for Kentucky. PJ is one of those guys that always leaves you wanting more and wants to be a SF because he appears soft, but he's 6'11 and has some guard skills and decent range. At the same time, his upside is insane and at the END of the lottery is that a bad thing to take a gamble on? Do you play it safe and get a solid player or knowing the NBA is a superstar league, do you go for the home run?

Ross and Rivers refused to workout for the Bucks.. they seem to think the Bucks aren't a good fit.. you know what? I hold grudges and thinks I know people don't like; I'll do on occasion.. Rivers and Ross just shot up my draft board. I actually like Ross, I'm iffy on Rivers.. I think Rivers has pedigree (obviously), talent, and the superstar IT factor.. but I don't care for the way he seems the need to dominate the ball and the he carries himself. The Bucks have Jennings and Ellis; I'm not sure Rivers could come in, sit on the bench AND not dominate the ball when he was in. Oh.. there's the whole 7 series thing he had going on recently at a work-out.

The guy I hope they take the most, if he slipped, Jeremy Lamb and it's not even close. Jennings and Ellis are undersized and Hammond/Skiles made comments about needing length on the roster.. Lamb certainly fits the build at 6'5 and with a crazy wingspan. I LOVE the way he moves without the ball and shoots off the catch. To me, Lamb is very efficient at setting his feet and/or squaring in the air. He locks his feet and shoulders to the basket off screens very well.. I'm not saying he's Rip Hamilton/Ray Allen off the ball because those guys were two of the best in the game, but he's coached in that same program they were and you can certainly see those traits in his game. I'm not sure he can run the point, nor do I think you'd "waste" him at the point anyway, he needs to be more aggressive at getting to the tin, with his athletic ability and size, he needs to take advantage of it. I see him more as a 2-guard that can play in a 3-guard lineup with Jennings/Ellis or be the 2 while the other is running the point. He'll get beat up for a bit vs. thicker guards, but he should make things tough for them.

Lamb is my #1 hope for Bucks draft night.

No comments:

Post a Comment