April 30, 2012

My Original 7 Round Packers Draft

The 2012 NFL Draft is over... and I think things went fairly well for the Packers. I was a little disappointed they passed over on some of my projected picks especially with all the film, practices, interviews and combine events I attended.. oh wait. I'll go back through.. like usual and put my original pick and the Packers pick then do it with trades.. at the end of the season, I'll come back and check to see how I did.

28: Projected Pick: Janoris Jenkins
Packers Pick: OLB Nick Perry
My pick of who was available: CB Janoris Jenkins
Perry certainly fills a need and the Packers are excited about him. He's big around 270lbs and certainly fast with some straight line speed. It'll be interesting to see if they can take that size and put him into the edge of the 3-4 OLB opposite of Clay. It sounds like they're going to give it a shot, I hope it works.. but that's a big guy in a lot of space. I know Jenkins has obvious concerns.. but he's a top 10 talent at the end of the first round. Teams are pass happy, you either have to rush or cover.. Packers went with rush but with that talent, I woulda went to cover.

59: Projected Pick: Chris Polk
Packers Pick: Traded
My pick of who was available: OLB Vinny Curry
Okay, I didn't know that Chris Polk had some MAJOR injury concerns so you really can't blame me for that.. I did 100% miss that the Packers didn't even draft a RB though so you can fault me there. If the Packers didn't trade this original pick, I woulda kept it the same as is. Vinny Curry, a DE that can stand up in the 3-4. Look at that.. I've gotten a Top 10 CB AND an OLB for the 3-4.

90: Projected Pick: Cam Johnson
Packers Pick: Traded
My pick of who was available: DT Brandon Thompson
I guess CBS and so I was off on Cam Johnson.. but I don't need a DE anyway since I got one last round.. This was another Packers traded pick but one that I grabbed a DT at. My picks have ended up just like the real Packers picks but in a different order. Thompson, some thought, had late 1st round value so to get him at 90 was certainly a steal for me.

123: Projected Pick: FS Brandon Hardin
Packers Pick: Traded
My pick of who was available: DE Jared Crick
I know I shoulda gone safety here.. but Crick was available. I know he didn't have a big year or even a good year.. but he was also hurt. I like technicians and he's big and played inside. I think I'd give him a shot at a DE spot in the 3-4. Not a perfect fit for the defense, but the talent and technique is too good to pass up.

132: Projected Pick: Trevor Guyton
Packers Pick: Mike Daniels
My pick of who was available: S George Iloka
I didn't get a safety last round, but I got him this round. Fairly excited about getting the top rated, not Packers top rated, S left on the board. Packers went McMillian with the next pick. Iloka is proven.

133: Projected Pick: Senio Kelemente
Packers Pick: Jerron McMillian
My pick of who was available: OL Senio Kelemnte
Had the chance of Tank Carder or Senio.. I really like both. Senio can play inside and outside.. sounds like a Packers swing OL to me!

163: Projected Pick: Tank Carder
Packers Pick: Terrell Manning
My pick of who was available: RB Cyrus Gray
I don't not like Manning.. not that at all, I actually think that it's a solid pick. He has burst, he has energy, he certainly has confidence and he fills a need more than Gray does.. but I'm not picking him because I like a HR hitter at RB. Starks, Saine, Green none of those guys showed big burst last year from the run game. The game is different, yes, but I want a HR hitter in case they do run the ball.

197: Projected Pick: Jeff Adams
Packers Pick: Traded pick
My pick of who was available: DL Billy Winn is still available? Yessir.

224: Projected Pick: Micah Pellerin
Packers Pick: Traded
My pick of who was available: Alonzo Dennard
Yeap, again the same pick as at that slot but not by the Packers. Dennard isn't the best corner, and he's not smart (arrested 5 days before draft) but at this point.. some teams had him projected at late 1st, early 2nd around seasons start.. that's value.

235: Projected Pick: Akiem Hicks
Packers Pick: Traded
My pick of who was available: Cam Johnson
Look familiar?

241: Projected Pick: Chris Owusu
Packers Pick: Andrew Datko
My pick of who was available: Chris Owusu
Apparently he's an injury concern also. Whatever. He doesn't have to get tackled just run go patterns along the sideline for Rodgers to get.

243: Projected Pick: Case Keenum
Packers Pick: BJ Coleman
My pick of who was available: Kellen Moore
I don't care about his noodle arm. He's awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment